Calling All Rigid Heddle Weavers!

She says she has 2 big boxes full

I’m not familiar with this yarn but it looks like a nice find! Is this yarn cotton?

@Kathy7661 - she says some of it is cotton and some is wool

Does she say what the number is for the cotton? I was thinking one lady I talked liked 8/2 and another forum liked 10/2 for dishtowels.

Looks good to me.

@Kathy7661 @Bettymo - any thoughts on what this should cost from the Facebook marketplace? Just curious if it is a good deal. She’s asking $10 per

The cotton yarn (8/2) for 1# (3360 yards) typically cost 25.00. It does go on sale often for maybe $16-20.
When I’ve bought a wool blend it’s always been a skein so I don’t know about that.
It certainly would give you a jump start to your weaving stash and a great way to experiment.

From now through April 7, 2020, Liz Gipson is offering her Yarnworker School class Weaving 101 for FREE, in light of current events. This is a rigid heddle class, and even if you can’t watch the lessons now, you can sign up now and watch when convenient. She is a generous, patient teacher who gives feedback. Here is the link to her site, where she talks about this offer:
https://yarnworker.com/keep-calm-and…ost-resources/

Wonderful!!! Thank you for the heads up. I’ll make sure I get in on this.

Sweet! Definitely will sign up! Thanks for sharing this!

@rkennell - did you see they have a beginner weave along starting 4/8?

@Char - I didn’t see that until you mentioned it, but I think if we could get some of the beginner stuff under our belt, that would be a good class! I’m assuming you are talking about the “Go Your Own Way Runner”? I need to get your loom to you this weekend!!! I did sign up for the free 101 Weaving class.

Squeee!!! So this is finally happening! I got my loom last week and after watching some videos to get the basics of how to start, I’m finally playing around a bit tonight since my evening event was canceled. I’ve not followed any class projects for the online classes yet; this is just some yarn I had and decided to give it a try. Quite fun, actually! I’m sure you pros can find some things that need improvement, including those looser outside rows, so I welcome any input! I’m using some mercerized cotton (Fantasy Naturale) for warp and for weft, I am using some Lion Brand Coboo–I just had both of these on hand and they were probably some of my cheaper and smoother yarns to start out with. I’ve been watching the Bluprint class by Deborah Jarchow; I love her teaching style.

Resized_20200316_184830_9289.jpeg

20200316_205735.jpg

Awesome!!! Lookin good!

Very pretty loom! Good for you, jumping in the water right away. I’m no pro, but I can say - really clever and pretty stripe pattern, your selvedges are avoiding draw-in, and you have nice open (square) negative spaces between your weft threads (like a window screen). If you have loose threads anywhere on your warp you can hang things on them as they come off the back beam - that is, use any type of hook (shower curtain, coat hanger wire, S-hook, etc.) and household stuff - keys, coins in a pill bottle, washers, to provide enough weight to firm up the tension on the looser threads. These weights dangle off the back beam and slide along as you advance your warp. This is something weavers routinely do without it being any big deal or shame. Or if you aren’t that far along, you can roll the piece back enough to re-tie the affected bundles on the tie-on rod. Sometimes you can stick a shim made of folded cardboard between the back beam and the warp threads that are loose - if they are together in a group. There is an ongoing bit of tinkering that all weavers do to improve the evenness of their tension and it can be so satisfying to solve these little problems.

Delivering Char’s today!! We are meeting up halfway between where we each live since I have hers at my house. It was sold locally after I bought mine, so I went and got it for her. Now we just have to get it delivered!

Yay! Congratulations! You’re doing great!

Gosh, so good to hear all the good loomy news! Thrilling, in fact!

@Carlota - Thanks! I do agree, it is a nice-looking loom now that I’ve given it a big of feed and wax–it shined up nicely! I even gave the shuttles a good coat. I had some on hand that I use on my spinning wheel from time to time as well. It’s amazing what that can do to older wood! (my wheel is a 1975 Ashford Traditional)

I appreciate the insight about tightening up the strands. I’ll tinker with that a bit. I also did adjust the tension a bit on each weft strand and that seemed to help a bit as well. I found your comments about weights for the warp threads interesting, especially after I watched the episode on Bluprint’s Rigid Heddle weaving course about tightening up the threads. She basically said the same thing you did, so it was good to know what needs to be done.

@oldeworldfibres - Thanks–it is an exciting time. I met up with @Char today for the first time (and we may or may not have given each other a hug despite all the restrictions that abound) and she got her loom. It’s a beauty! I’m sure we’ll be seeing her posts of projects before long as well!

@Kathy7661 - Thanks! I have a feeling this will be fun! @Char – you’re next!

All right - you asked for it!!! I couldn’t keep myself away.

I believe this will be a “fingertip” towel - I should have made this a little wider for a kitchen towel. :slight_smile:

I am using some cotton that came with it for the warp, and the weft is some peaches and cream kitchen cotton.

my son is taking a turn now - this is becoming a family affair! :fk:

Thank you so much @rkennell for meeting today. I do look forward to the day this has passed the restaurants are back open so we can visit more.

C6FAB187-ABD0-419D-8F25-2546DF360553.jpeg