Amazing darning tool for socks!!

So, I debated whether I should post this in the sock knitting thread or in a weaving forum, but THIS tool is amazing! If any of you have been following soxtherapist on Instagram, you might have seen her posting about this extremely cool gadget for covering holes in socks. I know, if you have the right yarn, you shouldn’t have to worry about holes, but I have some socks I have worn out because I knitted them from yarn that wasn’t guaranteed to last for 10 years before wearing holes, and the pair I darned last winter is already wearing thin again!! So I finally bit the bullet and ordered this little guy on Etsy and I am excited see it come. Unfortunately, it looks like most of them are from Russia, so it could take a up to a month or more before it arrives! They aren’t cheap (they tout free shipping so I’m guessing that’s why the price is so high in the first place), but I’m thinking it will pay for itself!

Soxtherapist also was using it to mend commercial socks–so there’s that as well!

Also, if you’re the artistic type, you can use this for patches on all kinds of clothes, not just socks. I think if I have a handknit sweater or other large handknit garment that develops a hole, this might be a wonderful tool to have around for that as well. Hats and mittens also get a lot of wear and tear and this could be a real lifesaver!

Here’s the link to the IG page: https://www.instagram.com/missionxgoods/?hl=en I’d post pictures, but they are not mine to share, so I I’ll just share some links.

Also, here is a YT tutorial that explains how it works. It’s in what I presume is Russian language, but it’s easy to see what she’s doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm2qoO0WrRs

Have any of you used this tool? If so, did it work for you?

For those looking for online search terms, try “speedweve.”
:slight_smile:
I see many on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/market/speedweve_darner
My thoughts, not having used this mending tool, but just based on viewing the YouTube videos and photos:

• The woven patch may be sturdy, but it’s not invisible… different texture, woven not knitted.
  • The seamed edges of the woven patch do not look like they would be smooth enough on the bottom of my socks, to walk on without discomfort.
  • But may be good for restoring some things, where the hole or fray is not prominently visible, and is not in contact with a tender or sensitive part of the body.

That looks seriously fun and useful. I have been eyeing the little Zoom Loom that you make 4" squares on, which I thought might be fun to use up handspun yarn. But then again, I don’t really need another hobby!

@PurlgirlButtons - I have the little zoom loom. It is a fun little piece. :slight_smile:

@qfknit --thanks for the search link. I do think most of these are from Russia, for some reason. I tried doing a search with United States only and there was only 1 plastic one that looked a bit bulkier and I wasn’t sure I wanted to try it. It does look like it might have a bit of a bumpier edge, but I’m not one to let that bother me a ton. And if it’s for my socks at home, invisible isn’t a big deal-breaker for me, not as much as convenience might be. :slight_smile: But for those who are more sensitive to this, it might not be a great option.

I can invision patching holes in the knees of children’s knit pants, it might even be a cool new trend

Patches on jeans and jackets were a trend in the late 60’s and through the 70’s!
They often covered actual wear-and-tear.
Then by the early 80’s designer jeans took over.
At the moment it appears that ripped jeans are “in.”
No doubt the style may soon change again…

What a nifty tool! The YT video is in (I think) Swedish. I tried changing the captions to English…no luck…but no worries, because the demonstration is very clear.

@Rose the Rebel - I am with you!! Torn jeans were never a sign of coolness at our house growing up and to this day I still don’t like them! And the thing is, often the more holes they have, the more they cost!

I agree it was clear. I didn’t realize it was Swedish, but then I would have no clue!

I like the creative aspect of this - almost like a decorative patch!

Looks like a new level of custom clothes - handmade. I have custom socks; it’s also a good choice)

927070c7889eae39c326788c1da851ce.jpg

Cool socks!!! :slight_smile:

And a welcome to FiberKind! If you need anything, let me know!

Hmmm… I’ve used woven patches like these on my socks for many years. You don’t need a tool. Just stitch on your ‘weft’ threads (anchoring to the sock itself) and weave in your ‘warp’ threads (anchoring to the sock itself). Easy to do and you can make the patch only as large as you need it.

637d504c23f82ee00e5d3621bfd3c0bejpg.jpg

0904417308020a8d8e113079e15f1dcdjpg.jpg

Great job!

Those patches are old and have been worn and washed many times over, but you can see them pretty well.

I thought so, too! Esp on handknit socks, but anywhere, really.

@fireshowman - I do not understand your initial post. It appears that you are showing us something purchased, rather than something you have hand-knit or otherwise crafted…?

Is this an ad, are you in some way involved with the company you have linked… ?

I hate that style of ripped jeans. I always ask people if they need me to buy new pants for them :face_with_hand_over_mouth: