Am I doing this right on my DPNs?

I am working decreases on my DPNs. Sometimes, I don’t have enough stitches on a needle to k2tog. So, I just move a stitch from one needle to the other without twisting the stitch I move.

It just made sense to do that. Is that the proper way? Does it matter whether you move it from the right needle to the left OR the left to the right?

It sounds to me that what you’re doing should be successful. It’s what I would do.

When I switched from using double points all the time to mostly using circulars, all I did was place a marker between the stitches that were supposed to be on needle 1, needle 2, needle 3, etc. Except for turning a heel, creating an instep or maintaining a pattern, I don’t think it matters which stitches are on which needle.

I agree with what @EllenDeKnitter said, it generally doesn’t matter which stitches are on which needle. Sometimes a pattern will specify how many stitches should be on each needle (in which case it should also take the decreases into account), but unless that is the case, it doesn’t usually make a difference.

This is exactly what I do if I have to decrease stitches over needles. I usually move the stitch from the right needle to the left, but it really doesn’t make a difference.

Thank you! I think I am getting a teensy bit better with DPNs (or at least I hope).

Oh good! :grinning:

Plus, it sounds like I’ve been doing the marker correctly. I put it between the 1st and 2nd stitches to mark the row. I sometimes have to move it for the decreases too.

​​​​​​​Thank you @EllenDeKnitter and @Nyssareen that really helps! :+1: