A Question About Gauge When Using Wool

I am starting the Gaskell pattern by Sarah Jordan. The stated gauge in the pattern is 18 stitches and 36 rows in 4" x 4" using size 6 needles and worsted/aran yarn in garter stitch. Using Cascade 220, I had to go up to a size 10 needle to achieve that stitch gauge.
Since I am using 100% wool, not superwash, would it be better/warmer to use the looser, but called for, fabric using a size 10, or the tighter fabric that I would get using a size 8. Size 8 gauge was 18 stitches in 3.25" and is my preferred needle size.

I normally work with acrylic instead of wool, so I do not know which fabric, looser or tighter, is warmer when using wool yarn.

I looked up the pattern (it’s on Pinterest) and see that it is a very pretty wrap. I can see that it would be nice to have a nice dense fabric to make it warmer. If you switch to the sz. 8 needles and less stitches per inch, your wrap will be smaller. If you want it to be the same size but tighter gauge, you will need to do some math and figure out how many stitches to increase. This can get complicated since you will have to adjust the stitch count in the pattern.

That is what I was thinking, but it is good to have confirmation.

I agree. Wool will sometimes draw up a bit with washing, even washable wool.
Acryllic has bad habit of stretching out if there is any weight to it.