#9 - Tunisian Half-Double Stitch

[SIZE=16px]Hello everyone & welcome back! Today we have a look at the Tunisian Half-Double Stitch!

A video tutorial for the Half-Double Stitch is available from The Crochet Crowd & CrochetKim.
(The 1st video recommends a ch1 at the beginning of the forward pass. I find this unnecessary as the stitch doesn’t add height, only width to the fabric.)

The Tunisian Half-Double is essentially a utility stitch to enhance basic stitches. It’s made much the same as a traditional half-double crochet stitch without closing the stitch. The simple addition of a yarn over before making a simple stitch, knit stitch, reverse stitch or any of the variations of these stitches adds additional texture and density to a project. Bonus - no curl![/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Written instructions:

Foundation Row: [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Create any number of chains.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](1) YO, insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](2) yo and pull up a loop. Leave both loops on your hook. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and draw through one loop only. *Yarn over, draw through three loops (ch, yo & st)*. Repeat *-* until only 1 loop remains on the hook. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px][B]Half-Double Stitch[/B][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px][B]Forward pass.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook & the diagonal yo, *yo, insert the hook under the next 2 bars (the vertical stitch & the diagonal yo), yo & pull up a stitch*, repeat *-* to last stitch, yo, TSS in the last stitch. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px][B]Return pass.[/B] Yarn over and draw through one loop only. *Yarn over, draw through three loops (ch, yo & st)*. Repeat *-* until only 1 loop remains on the hook. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]Bind off in pattern.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook & the diagonal yo, *yo, insert the hook under the next 2 bars (the vertical stitch & the diagonal yo), yo & pull up a loop. Continue pulling the loop through the yo & the first loop on the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Last stitch - yo, insert your hook under the both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and pull through all loops on the hook. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR] Free Patterns

Tunisian Half Double Stitch Cowl Video
Tunisian Colorblock Scarf Written
[HR][/HR]

Half Double Front.jpg

PXL_20201006_150420329.jpg

THDs.png

I like the looks of this newest stitch.

Looks beautiful!!! Thank you so much @TexasPurl - you are doing a wonderful job with these patterns. :fk:

Yay! Have some fun with it!

Thanks @Char! It’s been so fun. I may be learning more than you all with this journey.

Thank you, @TexasPurl. I can’t wait to get started on this next stitch. Happy camping, can’t wait to hear all about it!

I agree with everyone, this stitch looks like great fun. I might skip last weeks and see if I can catch up with this one. I too must express my gratitude for your efforts @TexasPurl, I know what it takes to do something of this magnitude.

Looking forward to seeing all the swatches!

This was a quick and easy stitch.

DSCN6303.JPG

Pretty!

Thank you

Finished!

53B10E8F-7294-40A6-8915-142ECCEEE097.jpeg

Very pretty!

Well done!!

Very nice and pretty colorway!

Nicely done, @knitter131!

@knitter131 and @TexasPurl Thank you!!

I looked at the videos linked plus a couple of others and find it fascinating how many slight variations there are with this stitch. I made a potholder because this stitch has really no tendency to roll so it’s kinda perfect for pot holders etc. Mine came out looking almost like a rib stitch. Tomorrow I want to play around with other variations and see if they look different. I really like the blue sample from @TexasPurl but mine doesn’t really look like that… This was kinda sleepy stitching so hopefully I’ll figure it out tomorrow. Either way, I like my potholder! :slight_smile:

IMG_20201012_204938.jpg

I love how we can all use the same stitch and they are all unique. Your yarn is so pretty and I love you are making potholders.

Thanks y’all. The yarn is LB Comfy Cotton Blend. I got on clearance a couple of years ago. @knitter131 I actually followed @TexasPurl’s written instructions for this one, believe it or not. But after watching a few videos, I think my problem is tension. Someone in one of the videos said tension on this stitch can make quite a bit if difference in the appearance.
@DJM I agree! It makes this a fun stitch to play with!