#7 - Tunisian Simple Crossed Stitch

[SIZE=16px]Hello everyone & welcome back! Today we’re looking at the Tunisian Simple Crossed Stitch! We have 2 methods for this stitch pattern, Aligned & Offset.

A video tutorial for the Aligned Simple Crossed Stitch is available from CrochetKim HERE & KnitDenise HERE.
A video tutorial for the Offset Simple Crossed Stitch is available from KnitDenise HERE & CrochetKim HERE

The Tunisian Simple Crossed Stitch (Tcross) is a variation on Tunisian Simple Stitch (TSS) worked over an even number of stitches. This stitch pattern adds texture and an interesting pattern to your project.

This stitch has a moderate tendency to curl and can be reduced if you go up a hook size or lessen your tension and always block the finished project. In addition, it pulls the fabric inward horizontally. You may find you need to increase your hook size more than what you think necessary.

Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to find any published patterns using this stitch.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Written instructions for the Simple Crossed Stitch pattern:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:
Most published Honeycomb patterns call for an odd number of stitches. [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Create an even number of chains.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](1) Insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

*Aligned Simple Crossed Stitch with a single ended hook. (1 row repeat)[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px][B]Row 1.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *sk the next vertical bar, insert hook (as TSS) in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Insert hook (as TSS) under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. (Tcross)* Repeat *-* until the last selvage stitch remains. TSS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.

Continue to your desired length.

Bind off in pattern.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]*Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, sk the next vertical bar, insert hook in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Insert hook under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.*[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat * - * across the row to the last stitch.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR][SIZE=16px][B]*Offset Simple Crossed Stitch with a single ended hook. (2 row repeat)[/B]

Create a foundation row as with the Aligned method above.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px][B]Row 1.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *sk the next vertical bar, insert hook (as TSS) in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Insert hook (as TSS) under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. (Tcross)* Repeat *-* until the last selvage stitch remains. TSS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px][B]Row 2.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, TSS, *sk the next vertical bar, insert hook (as TSS) in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Insert hook (as TSS) under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. (Tcross), TSS* Repeat *-* until the last selvage stitch remains. TSS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.

Continue rows 1&2 to your desired length. Ending with a row 1.

Bind off in pattern.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Insert hook in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. *Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, sk the next vertical bar, insert hook in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Insert hook under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.*[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat * - * across the row to the last 2 stitches. Insert hook in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR]

Aligned Front.jpg

Offset Front.jpg

Cross Stitch ITR.jpg

Aligned Cross Stitch.png

Offset Cross Stitch.png

Woo Hoo another great stitch. Can’t wait to start. Thanks so much.:fk::fk:

Hmmm - I think I should wait until I get home to try this - I only have one hook with me.

This is the offset version. I’m n fixing to try the straight version too but I like the look of the offset so I tried it first. It looks a bit sloppy but hopefully that will improve with practice.

IMG_20200927_135423.jpg

It looks good from here! I liked this one better too.

Looks great, I started with the aligned stitch, it’s slow going as I have to stitch between cleaning getting ready for company.

@pinesprairie Thank you. :relaxed:
@DJM I SHOULD be stopping to clean a lot more than I am. Lol

Here we go, a little hole in there where I missed something and did the bind off on the wrong pass but this guys done.

Tuni7.jpg

Clean? I just pretend these days.

I normally do ignore the clutter, however they are here for about a week and our family member would probably declutter when I’m not looking, then I’ll never find anything LOL…

I do like this stitch, what yarn did you use?

@DJM Lol, that’s a very good reason!

Thanks. It’s the Lion Brand Coboo but I wouldn’t recommend it for Tunisian anything as it has no twist so you have to be very careful to get all 8 of those teeny tiny strands. It’s extremely soft though and I’m killing two birds - making face cloths for Christmas gifts or I wouldn’t be using it.

Your stitches are way better than mine. I do want to get some of that yarn someday. Splitty yarns don’t bother me at all and you are right, it would make great face cloths!

This week’s square

7B88E385-FDD0-4CFE-9656-3E2BDF7677CF.jpeg

Very pretty and such neat stitches. I need to work on making my stitches less sloppy.

Here is my aligned version. Still kinda sloppy…

IMG_20200927_215424.jpg

Happy sunshine color and your stitching is indeed, very neat looking. We’re all getting there!

I don’t see where you think they are sloppy. If you mean those little holes, I think it will all come out in the block/wash. I actually had to go down a size because my stitches really were sloppy and I found going smaller helped. I’ve also figured out that because I’m such a tight crocheter, I have to figure out which size hook for every stitch as I don’t seem to get the tension the same yet. Maybe someday!

Maybe I will play around with the hook size. I’m hoping when they are all sewn into a blanket some of the wonky bits will block out. I’m not being too persnickety at this point. Just having fun learning all the new stitches!