#6 - Tunisian Honeycomb Stitch

[SIZE=16px]Hello everyone! Today we explore the Tunisian Honeycomb Pattern!
We’ve covered the basic of stitches in Tunisian, now it’s time to combine them for some interesting patterns.

A video tutorial for the Honeycomb stitch pattern is available from TL Tarn Crafts & KnitDenise.

The Tunisian Honeycomb pattern is achieved in a 2 row repeat by combining TSS (Tunisian Simple Stitch) & TPS (Tunisian Purl Stitch) consecutively across the 1st row, then TPS & TSS consecutively across the 2nd row. Usually worked over an odd number of stitches. The Honeycomb pattern has little to no curling due to the use of alternating front & back starting position stitches.

This stitch pattern is quite stunning on it’s own & by adding a contrast color as the return pass when working in the round will truly make it stand out.
It can also serve as a built in border by working the Honeycomb pattern as you would a garter stitch selvage in knitting.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Written instructions for the Honeycomb pattern:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:
Most published Honeycomb patterns call for an odd number of stitches. [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Create an odd number of chains.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](1) Insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook. Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

Honeycomb Stitch with a single ended hook. 2 Row Repeat[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px][B]Row 1.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *TSS in the next stitch, TPS in the following stitch*. Repeat *-* until the last 2 stitches remain. TSS in both.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px][B]Row 2.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *TPS in the next stitch, TSS in the following stitch*. Repeat *-* to the end.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.

Continue rows 1&2 to your desired length. Ending with a row 1.

Bind off row.

There are only a few times when the bind off isn’t necessary. It typically isn’t needed for most lace designs since that would close up an otherwise lacy project.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px][B]Binding off in pattern[/B]. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook,* insert hook as if to TPS in the next stitch;[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. You're only doing a slip stitch, just like any other slip stitch in regular crochet. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]insert hook as if to TSS in the next stitch;[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.*[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat * - * across the row to the last stitch.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR][SIZE=16px][B]Free Patterns - Video & Written[/B]

Honeycomb Cowl (Written)
Easy Tunisian Honeycomb Stitch Dishcloth (Written)
Amelia Tunisian Crochet Dress (Written)
Malibu Pillow (Written)
Tunisian Honeycomb Scarf (Video)
[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“http://fiberkind.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAlYAAAAnCAIAAABCJpEFAAAAAXNSR0IArs4c6QAAAARnQU1BAACxjwv8YQUAAAAJcEhZcwAADsMAAA7DAcdvqGQAAADsSURBVHhe7drBjYQwEABB9nIhF34ksoGQIy8i8aGVH6fVRUBXfTwjB9Cy5NcYYwGAnp95AkCMBAIQJYEAREkgAFESCECUBAIQJYEAREkgAFESCECUBAIQJYEAREkgAFESCECUBAIQJYEAREkgAFESCECUBAIQ9RpjzPHjOI7ruuYCAA+ybdu+73O53Qn8a13XeQEAz/J+v2ftPr5fgbfzPOcEAA/y9cz7J4EAUOA7DABREghAlAQCECWBAERJIABREghAlAQCECWBAERJIABREghAlAQCECWBAERJIABREghAlAQCECWBACQtyy/4GDHVudUGwAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==”}[/IMG2][/SIZE]

Flat.jpg

THS ITR.jpg

THS.png

Ohhh - this is beautiful!!! :slight_smile: even more striking as a two color. I may need to decide what my other color(s) will be so I can use two colors. :slight_smile:

Oh goody, I watched a video this week and loved the look, can’t wait to try.:fk:

Oh this looks fun!

Had to run to the feed store so I did this on the ride over and back.

IMG_20200919_152709.jpg

Love it. Good job on getting it finished so early.

It looks like you are building each square on top of the previous one. Are you making a scarf? or Will you be sewing block strips together in the end?

Well done, it looks wonderful!!

Beautiful stitch definition!

Everyone’s getting faster and faster! This looks great.

@hereami I’m making strips that will be sewn together into a baby blanket or throw. It’s just my lazy alternative to actually sewing together that many blocks.

@DJM @knitter131 @pinesprairie Thanks y’all. It’s really the perfect car riding project!

Very pretty! Nicely done!

That’s just such a pretty stitch!

Hi everyone. For some reason I am not seeing my honeycomb. At first I thought it was because my white yarn has too much of a halo to it and was hiding the pattern. So I worked up two more swatches. The top on a larger Tunisian hook with gray yarn. The bottom using a regular crochet hook and purple yarn.

I can see diagonals…but not honeycombs.
Am I just not seeing them…or am I doing something wrong?

Resized_20200920_085821.jpeg

Hmmm, I think somethings not right. I think that’s what happens if you do a knit in a knit and a purl in a purl. Give me a min & I’ll post a quick way to tell the difference so you always know which one is on the last row.

Well now I don’t know. It might just be the angle you’re looking at it…

The knit stitch on the prev row (see how it looks like it’s just a diagonal line there)

Purl on the previous (I still can really see the diagonal)

But here’s where it’s ‘straight’ - under the hook

And here I thought I could help but I’m not sure I did.

Knit.jpg

Purl.jpg

Honeycomb.jpg

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. It was late when all the company left. It seems to be an issue with the purl stitch. I’ll try to re-create in the morning.

I may have discovered the issue. It looks as though you’re making the purl stitches through the back vertical bar with the yarn in front instead of the front vertical bar with the yarn in front. That would bring the return pass to the front of the work adding visual depth to the purl stitch.

I finished my Herringbone square and tried to due colorwork. Having fun. :fk:

DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0559 (2).JPG

Nicely done and the 2 colors (or multi when you get there) is so fun. Seeing yours brings back memories of some of my long ago attempts. I made a lot of hats but they were seamed, I’m anxious to have time for in the round. You would really get some fun ones done I bet!