#5 - Tunisian Reverse Stitch - TRS

[SIZE=16px]Hello everyone! We’re making with the Tunisian Reverse Stitch today!

A video tutorial for TRS is available from CrochetKim HERE & from Mode Bespoke HERE.

The Tunisian Reverse Stitch (TRS) is visually similar to TPS (Tunisian Purl Stitch), though it creates a more substantial texture by sitting higher on the fabric. Using the TRS can give your project definition whether as a border or with color changes to create contrast. TRS combats curling when incorporated with many of the heavy curling stitches.

TRS is made in reverse of TSS, by inserting the hook through the back vertical bar with the yarn in back.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Written instructions for TRS:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Create a chain (later we'll explore different cast ons)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](1) Insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.[/SIZE]
[B][SIZE=16px]Or[/SIZE][/B]
  • [SIZE=16px]Experiment with one of the alternative casts on from this post: [B]Cast On Methods[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=16px].[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

TRS with a single ended hook. Single Row Repeat[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, insert your hook, from right to left, through the next back vertical bar, draw up a loop. Continue pulling up loops in this manner until you reach the last stitch, TSS in the last stitch.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.

Continue making Forward & Return passes to your desired length.

Bind off row.

There are only a few times when the bind off isn’t necessary. It typically isn’t needed for most lace designs since that would close up an otherwise lacy project.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Binding off starts just as you would any other row. Insert your hook as you would for TRS.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. You're only doing a slip stitch, just like any other slip stitch in regular crochet. Repeat across the row to the last stitch.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR] [SIZE=16px][B]Free Patterns - Video & Written[/B]

Wishy Washies Washcloths (Written)
Picnic Plaid Afghan (Written)
Asha Cowl (Photo Tutorial)
Tunisian Fall Pumpkins (Video)
Leaf Tunisian Crochet Dishcloth (Written)
[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“http://fiberkind.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAlYAAAAnCAIAAABCJpEFAAAAAXNSR0IArs4c6QAAAARnQU1BAACxjwv8YQUAAAAJcEhZcwAADsMAAA7DAcdvqGQAAADxSURBVHhe7dqxbcMwFEBBOZOodOfaQ2hfjaLSiwiMYRAukg307hryc4EHEryNMRYA6PmZKwDESCAAURIIQJQEAhAlgQBESSAAURIIQJQEAhAlgQBESSAAURIIQJQEAhAlgQBESSAAURIIQJQEAhAlgQBESSAAUbcxxtx+7Pv+er3mAAAX8ng8ns/nHN7eCfw6z3OeAsDlbNs2g/fx9xZ4HIdbIACXtK7r/X6fw/+HUACI8B0GgCgJBCBKAgGIkkAAoiQQgCgJBCBKAgGIkkAAoiQQgCgJBCBKAgGIkkAAoiQQgCgJBCBKAgGIkkAAkpblF7RTNAOVZKmJAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC”}[/IMG2][/SIZE] [HR][/HR]

IMG_20200828_110501.jpg

IMG_20200903_171705.jpg

TRS.png

Here’s the pattern for the Heart Block…
[TABLE=“class: MsoTableGrid”]
[TR]
[TD=“colspan: 2”][SIZE=16px]Heart Block[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=16px]Foundation: (TSS) x 31
Row 2: TSS, (TRS) x 29, TSS
Row 3: (TSS) x 31
Row 4: (TSS) x 31
Row 5: (TSS) x 15, TRS, (TSS) x 15
Row 6: (TSS) x 14, (TRS) x 3, (TSS) x 14
Row 7: (TSS) x 13, (TRS) x 5, (TSS) x 13
Row 8: (TSS) x 12, (TRS) x 7, (TSS) x 12
Row 9: (TSS) x 11, (TRS) x 9, (TSS) x 11
Row 10: (TSS) x 10, (TRS) x 11, (TSS) x 10
Row 11: (TSS) x 9, (TRS) x 13, (TSS) x 9
Row 12: (TSS) x 8, (TRS) x 15, (TSS) x 8
Row 13: (TSS) x 7, (TRS) x 17, (TSS) x 7 [/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=16px]Row 14: (TSS) x 6, (TRS) x 19, (TSS) x 6
Row 15: (TSS) x 5, (TRS) x 21, (TSS) x 5
Row 16: (TSS) x 4, (TRS) x 23, (TSS) x 4
Row 17: (TSS) x 3, (TRS) x 25, (TSS) x 3
Row 18: (TSS) x 3, (TRS) x 25, (TSS) x 3
Row 19: (TSS) x 3, (TRS) x 25, (TSS) x 3
Row 20: (TSS) x 4, (TRS) x 11, TSS, (TRS) x 11, (TSS) x 4
Row 21: (TSS) x 5, (TRS) x 8, (TSS) x 5, (TRS) x 8, (TSS) x 5
Row 22: (TSS) x 6, (TRS) x 5, (TSS) x 9, (TRS) x 5, (TSS) x 6
Row 23: (TSS) x 31
Row 24: (TSS) x 31
Row 25: (TSS) x 31
Row 26: TSS, (TRS) x 29, TSS - BIND OFF[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD=“colspan: 2”][SIZE=16px]Notes: 1st TSS of each row is the existing loop on the hook from the return pass of the previous row.
Use Basic Return Pass
[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

TRS - Stitch Fiddle.jpg

Beautiful new stitch!! :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to get started on this new stitch. I do love the Heart block…:fk:

I have a question, the videos show the hook going through the back loop from right to left… not left to right as your written instructions state. Is this a typo or did I misinterpret the videos??

@TexasPurl No problem, I had to really think about it to visualize the motion and then when I gave up and looked at the video, I figured it out. My daughter is a leftie and she would mix up left and right often :slight_smile:

I finished block 5 and made a Heart Block. I love all these new stitches and using them together. :fk:

DSCN6228.JPG

DSCN6232.JPG

I don’t think there’s any catching you now! You’ve nailed this technique for sure. I fell off the wagon back on block 3 but am going to catch up at some point. Y’all might be done and making things by then but I’ll get there.

Thank you. I can’t believe how easy it seems now. I struggled a few years ago when I attempted to learn Tunisian and it was not a pretty sight!!
Take your time and enjoy the journey!!

Here’s my block for week 5, with oops’s and all. I found the stitch easier than anticipated, for me it wasn’t any more difficult than the simple stitch EXCEPT at the beginning and end of the,rows, as indicated by the errors.

5C223104-70AD-482E-8B0A-443490A0B470.jpeg

It’s lovely!!

They came out really great!

Wow, you are fast! Nicely done!

Looks great! Nice color too!

I think a lot of our blocks have oopsies but that’s part of the learning process. It looks great overall!

WooHoo! Look at you knocking 'em out! They look fabulous!

Nicely done!

Thank you all for your kind words… I am having fun.

I have only pinned, not actually blocked, but here is my little heart. :fk:

D5606F0B-E079-46AF-ACC6-555D770432CD.jpeg

Too cute!!