#3 - Tunisian Knit Stitch - TKS

[SIZE=16px]Hello everyone & welcome back! Today we’re working with the Tunisian Knit Stitch![/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]A video tutorial for TKS is available from CrochetKim HERE.
And another from HappyBerry Crochet HERE.

The Tunisian knit stitch, or TKS, really looks like knitting on the surface, but it creates a thicker fabric because the return pass sits at the back of the work and adds considerable heft. Working from front to back between the vertical bars opens the stitch to create V shapes similar to knitting stockinette. The TKS is prone to curl quite a bit. You may need to go up a hook size or lessen your tension and always block the finished project.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Below is the written instructions for TKS:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Create a chain (later we'll explore different cast ons)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](1) Insert your hook into the back bump of second chain from the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

TKS with a single ended hook.

Tunisian Knit Stitch (TKS) is worked between the vertical bars.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Forward Pass - Insert your hook from front to back between the vertical bars of the next stitch.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Draw up a loop. Leave it on your hook. Repeat across the row to the last vertical bar before the left edge.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Last stitch of the forward pass - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and pull up a loop.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Return Pass - Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Continue making Forward & Return passes to your desired length.

Bind off row.

There are only a few times when the bind off isn’t necessary. It typically isn’t needed for most lace designs since that would close up an otherwise lacy project.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Binding off starts just as you would any other row. Insert your hook as you would for TKS.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. You're only doing a slip stitch, just like any other slip stitch in regular crochet. Repeat across the row to the last stitch.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR] [SIZE=16px][B]TKS with a double ended hook. - Working in the round[/B]

Using a double ended hook produces the same stitch definition as working flat with a single ended hook, but gives you the ability to work in the round. TKS in the round produces a thick fabric for hats, mittens & sweaters.

We’ll explore double ended stitching in another session.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Below are some examples of TKS. See the photo captions for descriptions.[/SIZE]

TKS Front web.jpg

TKS Back web.jpg

TKS Round web.jpg

TKS.png

Free Patterns

Knit-Alike Tunisian Crochet Scarf (Video)
Tunisian Spiral Shawl (Video)
Knit Stitch Mittens (Video)
Knit Stitch Purse (Video)
Basic Tks Hat
Tunisian knit headband

Block Pattern Suggestion [LIST=1]

• Ch 30
  • Pull up a loop in each back bump of the chain starting with the 2nd ch from the hook (30 loops)
  • Basic Return Pass
  • Work 1 row TPS & Return Pass
  • TPS in next st, TSS x26, TPS, TSS in last st. - Return Pass
  • Repeat row 5 until block measures 5-3/4"
  • Work Bind off row in TPS [/LIST]
  • Woo Hoo another new stitch. Can’t wait to try. Thanks.

Yay! Our next pattern! I will be trying this… as soon as I get some coffee

I had fun with this one!!

DSCN6189.JPG

@DJM it looks great!

Thank you!!

Seriously? You’re done already? Wow! And it looks great! You are on a roll!

Wow speedy! It looks great and the color is pretty too.

Thank you both. I found this stitch to work up quickly.

Oh my goodness! Look at you go! It’s a beauty!

Very nice! I’m enjoying this stitch too.

My TKS square is done. I found this one quite enjoyable to do.

95CB554A-6D4F-4F28-9E0D-A3D07509CD83.jpeg

Wonderful!!

Very nice!

It looks like you’ve been doing it forever. I can’t wait to try it but it’ll have to be later this week.

Here’s my TKS, the color is actually light blue, but we have a lot of clouds and I couldn’t get a true color. It was smaller than my others, I think I should have gone to a larger hook. Probably a little over-stretched and steamed.

68650196-B53D-4035-BB08-AB642DFB3E5B.jpeg

Very pretty. I love speckled yarn on white bases there’s so much fun to them

Looks good!!

I’m noticing it works up at a slightly smaller gauge as well. But it’s close enough that I think I can block it out.