#3-1/2 - Cast On Methods

[SIZE=16px]Hello everyone! How about a mid-week supplement about Cast On Methods?

At this point everyone may know how the traditional Tunisian Crochet cast on is done to form the foundation row. If not, see below:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Create a chain [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](1) Insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

This method is great for small projects or blocks you intend to join together. It’s a very sturdy & structured cast on but has little stretch.

Let explore some alternatives!

Single Crochet Cast-On - Start by creating a Chainless Foundation Single Crochet row. Turn your work, pull up a loop in the 2nd sc from the hook, continue pulling up loops in each sc across to the end. Use the basic return pass. This method has more stretch to it while providing a structured foundation.

I-Cord - Though it would certainly be lot of work to make an I-Cord as the foundation for a large project, it would make a beautiful edge. Crochet I-Cord / Knit I-Cord Make an I-Cord to your desired length, turn, pull up loops in the stitches along the edge of the I-Cord. Take care to pull up the loops along the same column of stitches along the I-Cord.

Knitting Cast Ons - Any knitted cast on method can be used with Tunisian Crochet. Some have better results than others. The Long-Tail Cast On & Wrap Cast On don’t have enough structure to properly hold tension with Tunisian Crochet, but there are so many more that work well. Use your favorite cast on then a basic return pass and you have your foundation row.[/SIZE]

Wow! What a wonderful surprise! Definitely need to investigate these. “My” cast on is similar to a German Twisted Cast on, but I add a second needle to wrap the yarn around the bottom thread (not both in one thread) to make it “even” and stretchy. I bet that would work too.

More and more to learn YEAH!! Thanks so much.

Thank you for listing these. I am only proficient at one type of crochet cast on and one type of knitting.
I plan on looking thru these and trying them out. :fk:

So, a new rule for me (y’all know I make rules to break rules) will be to try a different cast on with each block - once I get there! Thanks @TexasPurl, this is a sure start to making that knitting leap!

Indeed. The cast on was the hardest part to learn when I started knitting. Good luck!

Be sure to REALLY like that German Twisted cast on. It is wonderful for socks.

@TexasPurl thank you! I’m making some extra TSS blocks, maybe I will try these out :blush::blush:

Okay I’m completely fascinated with the Chinese Waitress Cast-on! It would make such a lovely edge for so many things! I don’t think I would use it for something where you have to cast-on 300 stitches but for smaller things it might be worth the effort for the beautiful edge.
The others I’m familiar with. In fact I use the German Twisted for cuff down socks on the rare occasions that I do them and often on hats as well. But I’m going to try that Chinese waitress on my next hat. :grin:

These are great! Thank you! I’m learning a lot here! :nerd_face: