#23 - Double-Ended TSS (Blanket Stitch)

[SIZE=16px]Hello Everyone & Welcome Back! :fk:

Today we’re celebrating Fall & our FiberKind theme for October – Pumpkins!

Our project will use a fascinating, time-tested Tunisian Crochet technique with a double-ended hook. It’s called the Blanket Stitch in many tutorials. Though the double-ended hook can also be used to stitch in the round, today we’re focusing on a flat fabric. We’ll be creating a simple swatch, then use the swatch to make a PUMPKIN!

(Don’t have a double-ended hook? Not to worry. This project can be made using an interchangeable hook with a cable & stopper.**)

A wonderful history about the double-ended hook was written by Cary Karp, of Loopholes. It’s worth the read!

My favorite book for double-ended stitches is 101 Double-Ended Hook Stitches from Annie’s Attic. There are 2 publications of this book. Both are great resources.

A video tutorial for working with a double-ended hook can be found at Crochetnit by Mary Middleton. The video is a bit grainy, but she explains it well and to the point. There are a ton of videos for this technique, but she’s my favorite. Note: Mrs. Middleton creates a ch1 at the end of the return pass. I don’t find it beneficial and have omitted it from this tutorial.

Using this technique with Tunisian Simple Stitch (TSS) creates a ribbed fabric of any width, is reversible and has no curl.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]MATERIALS & TOOLS

Appx 50g Worsted Weight Yarn – Split into 25g balls. (I suggest using contrasting colors when first attempting this technique.)
K/10 ½ - 6.5mm Double-Ended Hook

[/SIZE]
**When using a single-ended hook with a stopper, after each forward pass, move all the stitches onto the cable and swap the hook and stopper to opposite ends of the cable. Width of the project is limited to the number of stitches that can fit on the cable.

I used this and it works, but is indeed tedious. [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Foundation Row:
Create an any number of chains for a simple swatch. For our pumpkin, ch 25.
(1) Insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.
(2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook. Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your “Forward Pass”.

Return Pass: Turn the work. Slide all stitches to the opposite end of the hook. (You’ll be working the return pass from the back of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] stitch in the row just created.) Attach the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] ball of yarn – place a slip knot on the hook, draw the slip knot through the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] stitch on the hook. * Yarn over, draw through 2 loops.* Repeat - to the end. You should have one loop on your hook. Don’t turn or change yarn ball.

Forward Pass: With the same ball, TSS across. Turn, leaving the working yarn loose at this end.

REPEAT –[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px][B]RP[/B] - Slide all stitches to the opposite end of the hook. Work basic return pass. This is the same process used in the initial return pass above, though using the yarn from the row below instead of placing a slip knot on the hook. [I]Don’t turn or change yarn ball.[/I][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px][B]FP[/B] - With the same ball, TSS across. Turn, leaving the working yarn loose at this end.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]If making a simple swatch, work as many rows as you like. Skip to “Last RP” below.

If making our pumpkin, Work the repeat until there are 18 “ribs” on one side and 17 on the other (not including cast on edge).

Last RP - Slide all stitches to the opposite end of the hook. Work basic return pass.

BIND OFF with same yarn ball leaving a 36” – 40” tail. No need to weave in tails, they can be hidden inside the pumpkin.

PUMPKIN ASSEMBLY

Fold fabric so the beginning edge meets the ending edge. Use the long tail to close the seam with a whip stitch.

Weave the tail through the edge stitches and pull tight to close. Run the tail through the closure to the inside of the pumpkin and out the open end of the tube.

Use your preferred medium to stuff the pumpkin. It should be firm, but not over-stuffed.

Weave the tail through the edge stitches and pull to close, leaving a small opening for a twig or cinnamon stick to use as a stem.

Continue to form 6 contour sections of the pumpkin: lay the yarn along the ditch (area between raised ribs) to the bottom of the pumpkin, insert the needle through the closure at the bottom and out the top closure, pull snug. Repeat 5 more times, evenly spacing the ribs for each section. Secure and hide the remaining tail.

Insert a twig or cinnamon stick in the top opening for the stem and tada!

This one is approximately 5" Dia x 3 1/2" Tall.[/SIZE]

New Phototastic Collage.jpg

Single.jpg

Side A.jpg

Side B.jpg

PXL_20210926_204517737.jpg

Too cute and a wonderful project for this month.

Thanks for the detailed and clear instructions. I have one Tunisian hook but I believe it is a G. Perhaps I could use a smaller gauge of yarn to make a tiny pumpkin.

This looks so cool. I’m finishing my basketweave square while waiting for the delivery man to bring my double ended hook. I have interchangeables but I don’t have two hooks of the same size and really prefer not to switch back and forth every row.

Does this look right? Is there a front and back or is it reversible?

IMG_20211003_190025__01.jpg

IMG_20211003_185930__01.jpg

It looks great! It is reversible!

Awesome!!

Well here is my first attempt. Lol. I haven’t got any cinnamon sticks for the stem so it doesn’t have a stem yet and I am SO not experienced with stuffies but it’s pretty cute and it was super easy.

IMG_20211007_162454__01.jpg

Too cute! You could make a stem with any color yarn

Just adorable!

Yum - candy corns!

@KnitsWithHorses I love the smell of cinnamon, however cinnamon sticks are a rarity in my area!

That’s just so cute!

Thanks y’all.

Finally finished the block… Let’s see how long it will take to make the pumpkin.

DSCN7636 (2).JPG

DSCN7638 (2).JPG

Oh my goodness, that’s going to make a gorgeous pumpkin!

Ooh I love these colors!

Thank you both!

Nice work & looking forward to seeing your pumpkin!!

It will make a beautiful pumpkin!

@DJM what yarn did you use? I can’t seem to stop thinking about this, I am quite enamored with how it pooled!