2022 Reading Challenge

109: Frozen in Time by Owen Beattie and John Geiger. Fascinating account of the Franklin expedition to the Arctic in the 1840s, and the scientific study of three frozen bodies of sailors from that expedition in the 1980s. 5/5

1 Like

110: West of Eden by Harry Harrison. Science fiction. 3/5

1 Like

111: The Mammoth Book of Historical Detectives edited by Mike Ashley. I forgot to post this one, it was actually 110, but better late than never. Collection of mysteries with a historical setting. 4/5
112: The Colour of Murder by Julian Symons. 50s murder mystery. 4/5

1 Like

113: Haunters at the Hearth edited by Tanya Kirk. Another British Library Tales of the Weird collection themed around Christmas, and another excellent choice of tales. 4/5

1. Cold Wind by C.J. Box Great story teller. Bad guys swear a lot.

2. Dashing Through the Snow By Mary Higgins Clark and C.H. Clark (Mystery)

3. Cupcakes for Christmas by Kate Hewitt Cozy Christmas story with real life problems along the way.

4. Midwinter Murder by Agatha Christie listened as an audio book as I prepared in December for Christmas.

1 Like

114: Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson, History of the English language. 4/5

115: Double Indemnity by James M Cain. Thriller. Well written, but not my cup of tea. 3/5

116: Rat Pack Confidential by Shawn Levy. Account of the rise and fall of Sinatra’s Rat Pack. Very interesting, but I could have done with more factual detail and less hyperbole about Sinatra’s singing. I love a lot of his songs, but there’s no reason to get fangirl silly about it. 3/5

117: Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert. Science fiction, fifth in the Dune series. I wasn’t very impressed, the author seemed to be running out of ideas. 2/5

1 Like

118: The Children of Green Knowe by Lucy M Boston. Absolutely charming fantasy story for children of all ages (including me!). 5/5

119: Lady Molly of Scotland Yard by Baroness Orczy. Fun mystery stories. 3/5
120: Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce. Delightful children’s fantasy. 5/5
121: One Hundred Million Francs by Paul Berna. Mystery for children, lots of fun and a good mystery too. 5/5
122: Polar Horrors edited by John Miller. Another British Library Tales of the Weird collection. At least one way too long and not very good, a few rather dull, but some good ones I wasn’t familiar with. 3/5

My reading challenge 2022 is finished with good results, considering that I’ve only been reading since mid June.

1. The Rose Rent (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #13) by Ellis Peters 5/5
  2. The Hermit of Eyton Forest (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #14) by Ellis Peters 4/5
  3. Thunderer (Gods of Bronze #2) by Dan Davis 5/5
  4. Stealer of Flesh (Kormak the Guardian #1) by William King 5/5
  5. Defiler of Tombs (Kormak the Guardian #2) by William King 5/5
  6. Weaver of Shadow (Kormak the Guardian #3) by William King 5/5
  7. Guardian of the Dawn (Kormak the Guardian #0.5) by William King 5/5
  8. A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1) by Ellis Peters 3/5
  9. Blood of Aenarion (Tyrion & Teclis, #1) by William King 5/5
  10. Sword of Caledor (Tyrion & Teclis, #2) by William King 5/5
  11. Bane of Malekith (Tyrion & Teclis, #3) by William King 5/5
  12. Taker of Skulls (Kormak the Guardian #5) by William King 5/5
  13. City of Strife (Kormak the Guardian #4) by William King 5/5
  14. Ocean of Fear (Kormak the Guardian #6) by William King 5/5
  15. Born of Darkness (The Kormak Saga #7) by William King 5/5
  16. Sword of Wrath (Kormak the Guardian #8) by William King 5/5
  17. Masque of Death (Kormak the Guardian #9) by William King 5/5
  18. Portents of Doom (Kormak the Guardian #10) by William King 5/5
  19. Citadel of Demons (Kormak the Guardian #11) by William King 5/5
  20. A Dragon from the Desert (The Dragonbond Saga #1) by William King 5/5
  21. It snaps there, where it’s thin byq Ivan Turgenev 4/5

21 out 24

1 Like

Congratulations, Natalia - not only did you read a lot, looks like you really enjoyed all your picks! Sadly I missed my target for 2022 by 8 books and I did have a few less than stellar reads, but I did have a lot of good entertainment, learned quite a lot, and discovered a few authors that I like. I also learned that I rather like a good western! Happy reading to everyone in 2023.

2 Likes