2022 Reading Challenge

69: Ship of Dreams by Brian Lumley. Fantasy adventure. Usually I like this author but this one wasn’t really my cup of tea. 2/5

70: The Mammoth Book of Egyptian Whodunnits edited by Mike Ashley. Detective stories set in Egypt - mostly ancient, but some more recent (up to WWI). 4/5

I have been wanting to read a Bill Bryson book.
He wrote several that look humorous.

@hereami - I have now read I think three of his (someone donated a bunch to a charity shop I frequent) and I have laughed my way through all of them. He’s an author who is naturally funny, never tries too hard.

1. Byway to Danger - by Sandra Merville Hart
    This is the 3rd and last in the Spies of the Civil War series. They are historical romances with a good thread of suspense, but this one had the most suspense. They must be read in order, even though all are complete stories in themselves. I enjoyed a look back into America’s Civil War that wasn’t all soldiers and battlefields. Author Hart focused on the everyday people and how the war impacted their lives - and their responses to it.

71: The Mirror Crack’d From Side to Side by Agatha Christie. One of my favourite Miss Marple mysteries. 5/5

1. Season of Darkness Cora Harrison

2. Bayou Book thief by Ellen Byron book #1
    I have to admit I loved this one. It was the first book I have read in a while that was set in modern day times. I have personally done at least one thing the main character did in this book. Lol…fun, easy, mystery. There is a love interest starting to show up, but it isn’t graphic. I hope to read the second in this series when it comes out later this year.

3. The Mirror Crack’d From Side to Side Agatha Christie. Love Miss Marple. easy, cosy, mystery

4. A Dark and Twisting Path by Julia Buckley

5. Nightfall by Nancy Mehl #1 in the series. (Christian Author)
    This book surprised me several times. I thought I was going to have to stop listening to the audio version a couple of times. I thought it was going to be too graphic…It was not.
    I enjoyed this fast paced mystery, suspense book and have already downloaded book two in this series.

72: The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 23 edited by Stephen Jones. Collection of short horror stories. 3/5

73: Celtika by Robert Holdstock. Fantasy about Merlin and various other mythical characters. Found it a bit too long and with too much thrown into the mix. 2/5

74: Fen Country by Edmund Crispin. Very short mystery stories. A fun read, but with a few more serious tales. 4/5

1. The Rebel Bride - by Shannon McNear
    One of the best Civil War era historical romances I’ve read in a while. Rich in details and plenty of drama, but also the secondary characters were so diverse and interesting. I’d be happy if the author would expand and write a spin-off series from this one!

75: The Fog by James Herbert. Pulp horror yarn. 3/5
76: Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson. Tales of his travels across Europe. 4/5

1. An Uncommon Woman - by Laura Frantz
    I bought this book right after it came out – two years ago! It was the beginning of the Covid shutdown, and I’d stocked up on a stack of paperbacks I wanted to read. And I always enjoy Laura Frantz’s books! But when I started reading it, I realized it was a little too close to the book I was writing at that time, Maggie’s Strength. Both deal with a settler girl taken captive and raised by Native Americans. So I stopped reading and shelved the book.

I can’t tell you how many times I looked at it, wanted to get back into it, and yet had other commitments I needed to read for my own research, endorsing books for others, or editing. It was actually frustrating. But – at last – I carved out a few days to indulge myself.

And I wasn’t disappointed! This is easily in my top 4 of Laura Frantz’s books. Tessa is a complex and somewhat contrary heroine who fits her surroundings and earns the respect of the readers. Clay is a hero of legend – but not without his flaws – who also fits into his world in a comfortable and believable way. There is a large cast of secondary characters who – I’m convinced – deserve their own stories! I hope Frantz returns to the backcountry and picks up some of these threads to fill them out.

77: Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. Horror-thriller. 3/5

78: Death of a Hollow Man by Caroline Graham. Midsomer mystery. 4/5

79: Quacks by Roy Porter. Sociological history of medical charlatans. Not as interesting as I thought it would be. 2/5

It sounds right up my alley. :blush:

They really are my favorites from Ms Christie. :grin:

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins - I read his famous book The Woman in White earlier and quite enjoyed it - very lengthy, very slow but good development, so I thought I would read his other noted book. I gave it the old college try but couldn’t get through it - I like character development as much as the next person, but wow - could we just get on with the story??. I remember reading that we didn’t have to finish a book to note it down so I’m going that route. I plowed through over 250 pages so I feel that deserves some recognition :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I love reading the classics, but there are some I just can’t finish - usually those by Alexandre Dumas. Honestly, that man never used 30 words if 300 would do! And I love his stories, but I just need to read the modern translations.