2022 Reading Challenge

I understand! I’ve unsubbed from several social media outlets this year. It’s liberating. But I do enjoy this group. :slight_smile:

60: The Poisoned Chocolates Case by Anthony Berkeley. Very entertaining mystery, very cozy. 4/5.
61: The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. I had heard of this author’s book Notes From a Small Island but never read it. Still, when this twenty years on follow-up was my random pick from charity shelves I gave it a go, and I loved it enough to go back for more of his stuff. Very funny, touching and affectionate notes on travel, culture, society and more in the UK. 5/5

62: Rumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer. Amusing short stories about various cases fought by the great Horace Rumpole. 3/5

I have lost track of how much I’ve read. I’ve read a couple of series and Just finished re-reading Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers.

63: Beneath the Moors by Brian Lumley. Collection of longer short stories of horror. 4/5

1. The Secret Power in Prayer Charles Spurgeon (audio)

2. Putting the Most in life by Booker T. Washington (audio) 5/5

3. The Capital of the World by E. Hemingway (audio) I had not read Hemingway in a very long time. I had forgotten how he completely draws you into a story.

4. The old Man at the Bridge by E. Hemingway (audio)

5. The Gambles, the Nun and the Radio by E. Hemingway (audio)

6. The Way to Wealth by B. Franklin (audio)

7. What Every Body is Saying by Joe Navarro 5/5 I would recommend buying this book as a reference book if you are an author. Lots of info about what we do with our bodies…or maybe I should say, what our bodies do during times of comfort, discomfort, stress and such. He is careful to point out that there is no one way to tell someone is lying to you. You must learn to read peoples cues.

64: Dangerous Women Part 1 edited by George RR Martin. Short stories themed as the title suggests, around dangerous women. To be honest I found them all rather dull. 2/5

1. Auschwitz Lullaby - by Mario Escobar
    This is a relatively short book, but within its pages you will find a lyrical, thoughtful, and heart-rending account of a German woman and her 5 half-Gypsy children who were interred at Auschwitz in 1943. Based on a true story, it’s a story of love and courage and strength. Helene Hannemann is a heroine who will live with the reader long after the book is closed.

2. Beneath His Silence - by Hannah Linder
    I was able to read an early copy of this book. “Beneath His Silence” takes the reader on an emotional journey fraught with fears, distrust, and unknown dangers. Author Hannah Linder does a great job with this gothic-style historical romance. The setting is perfect and frames the story. Readers will pull for the heroine, wonder about the hero, and fall in love with the little boy. Fans of Michelle Griep’s “Lost in Darkness” will love this book.

3. Nerves of Steele - by Susan Sleeman
    Romantic suspense with a police theme. This is book 2 in the series. Not my usual cup of tea, but I’m the editor for the project, and it was a good read.

4. Forged in Steele - by Susan Sleeman
    Book 3 in the Steele series. This was a better story than book 2. I’m looking forward to the rest of this series.

1. The Lucky Thirteen by Edward L. Bowen
    A very readable account of the thirteen exceptional horses who have won all three legs of thoroughbred racing’s Triple Crown. I remember watching Secretariat in 1973, Seattle Slew in 1977, Affirmed in 1978 (BEST Belmont Stakes EVER!), then surviving the long drought until American Pharoah in 2015, and Justify in 2018. There is a lot of great backstory in these pages and plenty of detail on personalities, pedigrees, and racing forms. Enough for the enthusiast without being so much it muddles the weekend race watcher.

65: Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. Very funny and intelligent tale of the author’s travels round Britain prior to going back to the USA. 5/5

I loved that book! I also liked his A Walk in the Woods. Have you read it? I listened on audio, it is very funny.

@PurlgirlButtons; I haven’t had that one yet, but I will definitely look out for it - I love his writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSe_SLw1XpU

I found this link for an interview Bill Bryson did 6 years ago. He talks a bit about both books in this. Apparently A Walk in the Woods was made into a movie…and he really did go for this walk with his long time friend.

Thanks for reviewing it here. I have added both to my queue.

1. Putting the Most in Life by Booker T. Washington (audio)

2. Reedeming Love by Francine Rivers Christian Fiction

3. The MoonStone by Wilkie Collins (audio. …loved this as an audiobook. It was as if I was sitting, crafting, and listening to an elderly gentleman tell me a story.)

If you like stories told by a mature gentleman, try Bitesized Audio Classics on YouTube - the reader isn’t elderly, but he sounds every inch the older Victorian gent, and he does ghost stories and mysteries (he’s done a lot of Father Brown stories).

I love Redeeming Love! Only book I’ve ever finished, then turned back over and starting reading it again. There was so much in there.

@Lemmin13 Thank you for the suggestion. This Uk-based actor and voice artist has 21.7K subscribers. I listened to a sampling of him talking during an intro to book. He has a wonderful voice. I am going to enjoy listening to some of the classics.

I agree @Pegg Thomas . This story is one of my favorites. Rivers is a great story teller.

66: The Trials of Rumpole by John Mortimer. Short stories about a disreputable lawyer. 2/5

1. The Negotiator by Dee Henderson (Christian Fiction. action/mystery/romance)

2. Adventures of Nero Wolfe. Ultimate Collection. Chesterton Radio (Audio on YouTube. Old Mystery)

67: Notes from a Big Country by Bill Bryson. Comic vignettes about life in America. 5/5
68: ARh+ by HR Giger. Art book with some biographical bits about the artist who designed Alien. Interesting, but there’s a lot of explicitly sexual imagery. 3/5