2021 Reading Challenge ?

@hereami actually, being Catholic there are 72 books in my Bible. This year I plan to read a commentary along with each book, each commentary is it’s own book (except for some of the really short books) so I just might count each book!

There’s also an Agatha Raisin TV show - quite good although the actress is not how I would have pictured Agatha!

I’m a nut for anything health related. My first book of the year is The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. This was my third time reading it - a wealth of information for anyone interested in nutrition.

Umm Apparently I just"flagged a post." I dropped my phone and when I picked it up it said “report sent.” No idea what our who. So @Char if you get a weird flag today… that was just me being clumsy.

I’m counting everything I read for the purposes of this group. I’m only excluding next in series in my New to Me count in my signature line IFF I started that series before this year. That’s my own personal, separate challenge. But even those count in my 100 books in 2021. Half of all my reading is series. I love reading series. :slight_smile:

I have to confess to reading a romance once in awhile and I don’t add that to my count. I read a dark psychological thriller this year and when I was done, I had to read something really light. That’s when I throw a romance in.

I got a middle of the night call from one of the ladies in my knitting group. I saw it as a missed call in the morning. She is older and lives alone. I was worried
about her and spent a lot of time trying to get hold of her and thinking about what I was going to do if I couldn’t get hold of her. When I finally got ahold of her, she had no idea what I was talking about and had no idea how she called me. I was just relieved that she was fine.

@lovestostitch My son has done that to me! And he was a cross country truck driver at the time. Had his phone on mute so he could sleep during the day as his delivery was at night so he didn’t know i was trying to reach him and never realized he had called. Best guess was he rolled over on his phone in his sleep.

I’m glad it is okay to lurk @hereami, and I will try to add in when I can.

I read all kinds of stuff @KnitsWithHorses and I know what you mean. My favorite longer novels are Anna Karenina and War and Peace - couldn’t say how many times I have read them, but they never fail to show me something new. I like Shirer’s Berlin Diary as well as Rise and Fall, but the latter is “heavier” in all ways. I’ve a Bachelor’s in History and can be found reading the strangest stuff!

@lovestostitch, I do the same thing - I think of the light
reading as a “palette cleanser” of sorts. It is so pleasing to read a heartfelt, happy book after something grim or challenging.

I used to handquilt to audio books - loved it!

I’m with you there - regular follower of Dr. Greger (nutritionfacts.org) - could add people like Michael Klaper, Caldwell Esselstyn, Joel Furhman, Dean Ornish, John McDougall etc. etc. So many good people out there. Glad to hear it helped with your health problems - just get back on the wagon - 2020 was a depressing/anxious time for a lot of people, me included - I gained the Covid 15 and am now back on my wagon. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes five years ago - I’ve been testing “normal” ever since going plant-based and reading book upon book on the subject. Can you direct me to your FB page if possible??

We are #1 on my daughter’s phone and we get butt-dialed quite often. “hello? hello? hello?” Oh, it must be Beth.

Another lurker here! WFPB for about 2 years, but really fell off the wagon in the past 6 months, when we moved near to my husband’s family (LOTS of home cooking, none of it remotely healthy). Would love a FB link, too…or start a support group here?

I think I want to jump in here. I just finished reading “Triggered”, by Donald Trump Jr. It opened my eyes to what is going on deeper in politics but I know it only scratched the surface. I enjoyed it.
Just started two books yesterday. “Doctrines and Covenants”, this will be a year long read with my church. The other book is, “Woman Who Work”, by Ivanka Trump. My goal is 10 pages a day.

I’m all for a WFPB group!

Thank you all for mentioning so many books. I am planning on coming back to this page later. I had planned ahead for January. I have one sci fi, three mysteries, and a Christian fiction lined up. I didn’t mean to choose so many. But sometimes that is how the Libby app works. Sometimes I place a hold on several things and they come in so close together. Glad I can pass on it and have it redelivered later.

Yup - I saw it and cleared it out. :slight_smile: no harm done.

(It actually happens more than one would think LOL)

I use lighter books in the same way. I’m actually reading a really dark book right now and it’s quite long but it’s number 3 in the Cormoran Strike series and I can’t skip books in a series. I’m practically mental about it. I was warned that this one is far more dark and intense than the others so I listen to it in small doses and I’m reading Scottish Book Shop cozies to relax and lighten up so I don’t have bad dreams. I rarely ever read more than one book at the same time unless it’s one fiction and one non-fiction but that’s the only way I can get through this one. Believe it or not this book is written under a pseudonym but the author is actually J.K. Rowling. But believe me, these books are NOT for children.

@annekepoot I have seen the first two seasons and really enjoyed it. Are they going to make more?

I love books with a really good historical setting!