2021 Reading Challenge ?

[SIZE=20px]Welcome to the 2021 Reading Challenge. Come on in, bring your favorite beverage and join us.[/SIZE]

Hi everyone!

I’ve been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. That being said, I find it beneficial to have topics such as this one to help me find my next literary adventure.

FAQS:

How many books do I have to read?

• It's entirely up to you. Each of us has different goals and priorities. Set whatever goal you think you can make. If you reach it great. It's all about having fun reading and sometimes finding out about a new author.
[B]How do I post my books?[/B]
  • Some may choose to only list the book and what number it is for them.
  • If you choose to write a short review, we welcome it.
  • Some may choose to list the genre or their opinion of the book.
  • Whatever makes you happy go with it.
[B]I found this thread and its the middle of the year. Can I still join?[/B]
  • Yes. All are welcome no matter when they find us. Jump right in and enjoy.
[B]Do all books count?[/B]
  • That is completely up to you. Some include comics, how to books, trade-books, textbooks, children's books, craft books, novels, audio books and everything between.
[B]Do rereads count?[/B]
  • It's a matter of personal preference. No stress here just lots of fun and good discussion.
[B]Happy reading![/B]

2020 was an abysmal year for me in reading. I only read 30 books. Here’s hoping 2021 will be better! Going to shoot for 40 this year.

Good luck Pegg!

My goal for 2021 is to read 40 books, re-read/read mostly classic and finish few books in Latin. :slight_smile:

I will stick to a goal of 50 books. No other specific reading goals or rules for me.
Happy Reading Everyone. (some of mine will be audio book listening. )

I will jump in here this year, I started last year but then thought I had to rate the books and I just don’t like to do that. A book I highly rate might be horrible in your opinion and what you love I might dislike intensely, but as long as I don’t have to rate the book I’m in.

I will aim for at least 50 and I’d like to mix in some non-fiction if I can. (I read the entire Bible last year – how many books does that count for?? :slight_smile: )

I agree, I don’t rate books, I tend not to finish a book if I’m not enjoying it.

I’m setting my goal at 100 books. Currently I find myself reading cozy mysteries with some others as they appear. Can’t wait to see what everyone else is reading.:fk:

Since my eyes started going bad and I had to go to enjoying nearly all my books on audio, the silver lining has been that I can listen to books while doing all kinds of other things. I will definitely listen to over 100 books this year and list them all here but I’m also challenging myself to make at least 50 of them books I’ve never read before and tracking that separately in my signature line. That will also not include the “next in series” book from any series I’ve already been reading, only completely new to me books. I was debating whether to say it has to be new to me authors too but decided against that. Maybe next year. :wink:

I always log my books in on my Goodreads account and rate them. I have a couple friends with whom I share book recommendations. It helps me if I can just scan down my list and see which ones I rated highly.

If one of my friends recommends a book I don’t like, that’s ok with me. I can stop reading it or finish it - my choice.

I do appreciate seeing people’s ratings. If I see one that they have rated highly, I look it up on Goodreads to read the summary and see what rating it got there. It’s a great way to get ideas for books to read.

So many of the books I want to read require a hold and waiting time to get it from the library. While I’m waiting for those books, I love to read cozy mysteries. Have you tried the Agatha Raisin series? I’m enjoying that.

Well, I managed more than 100 books last year so I’m going to set myself to at least make 100 this year. But I’m going to include ‘next in series’, to give myself a better chance of success. I’m going to try and make at least 10 of them non-fiction, too; in fact my personal goal is to read at least 10 non-fiction and at least five from genres or subjects I don’t usually go for - science stuff, for instance.

I love seeing what titles everyone else is reading - I enjoy the ratings and recommendations as well.

I don’t like to count the number of books I’ve read because, for me, it makes reading a chore - especially near the end of the year if I am short of my goals. I also feel bad accounting for a quick read, like a pulp fiction book, the same as high literature or dense history/science.

I hope no one minds if I continue to lurk and occasionally add a comment.

@EllenDeKnitter
I hope you do add comments and let us know about the books you have read as we go along this year. I love seeing what others are reading. Without others commenting and throwing out a book title, I would not have found many of the authors I have read the last couple of years.

@crosstitchlinda
Aren’t there 66 books within the Bible? I am good with you listing that accomplishment anyway you want to. Single books, Old Testament, New Testament, the Psalms and Proverbs. i would think any division of your reading would be fine.

Your question is a good one.
If I had a Collection of stories, let say… Doyle or Christie novels, that were bound together as a single copy and I read one story…I would list the one story. If I read the whole thing…I would think I could list it by either. .

I am currently reading a compliation of short stories written in the 1940’s. “The World we Live in” by Louis Bromfield. The stories set during World War II have been amazing thus far!

I like cozy mysteries as well. I have not heard of Agatha Raisin. Last year I finished the Molly Murphy series written by Rhys Bowen. I really enjoyed those

I own most of Agatha Raisin and have read all several times. That’s was the series that got me started on modern cozies! I went googling for books that featured women over 40 and fell in love with flawed, crusty but unstoppable Agatha. Honestly, few series stack up to that one…

@Poogiegurl681 I’ve read some of the Her Royal Spyness books (I think that’s correct…) but haven’t seen Molly Murphy. I’ll have to look that up!

It did feel a little odd counting a cozy mystery and something like Rise of the Third Reich (heavy in more ways than one, huge but FASCINATING book) the same. Lol But that’s how I read! I need the light hearted entertainment just as much as the educational and enlightening reads so I read a bit of everything! I tend to read more light stuff during hard times so 2020 was fairly light a lot. And after all, it isn’t a contest its just a fun way (for me at least) to share what we’re all reading and be able to look back on what we read and where our hearts carried us at the end of the year. But those who don’t find that fun or fulfilling are still fun to talk with about books. I’ll talk to anybody about books! Or horses… or knitting… :wink: