2019 50 Book Challenge

I listen to audiobooks and keep track of my reading on Goodreads. I added my ratings. So far this year, I’ve read:

1. Need to Know by Karen Cleveland - 2 stars
  2. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens - 4 stars
  3. The 18th Abduction by James Patterson - 1 star
  4. A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny - 3 stars
  5. Darkest Fear by Harlan Coben - 4 stars
  6. The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny - 4 stars
  7. The Final Detail by Harlan Coben - 3 stars
  8. One False Move by Harlan Coben - 4 stars
  9. A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny - 4 stars
  10. Still Life by Louise Penny - 3 stars
  11. In The Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming - 1 star
  12. Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham - 2 stars
  13. The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison
  14. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O’Farrell - 3 stars
  15. Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty - 3 stars
  16. Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty - 4 stars
  17. Back Spin by Harlan Coben - 4 stars
  1. Eighth Grave After Dark…Darynda Jones (Audio) Private Investigator/Supernatural

Is A Fatal Grace good? I have been thinking about reading that one.

Hello…I’m a librarian and I would just like to put in a plug for public libraries! Your taxes support them ! Most have access to ebooks and online magazines and audio. Check your local library and enjoy!:slight_smile:

I’m not a librarian, but I agree! We have the best library system where we are living now. I use so many of their resources. It is an award winning system.

@yarnforall A Fatal Grace is #2 in the Armand Gamache series. I am enjoying the series. I would start with #1 - Still Life.

Thanks for the info! I will check into it.

All of the books I read come from the library! My neighborhood library is part of a system with nearly 100 libraries including college and special libraries.

Nice to see a fellow librarian on here! :slight_smile:

I am working my way through the series. It takes FOREVER for me to get each one on Overdrive. There is a long waiting list for them!

Ooh, one of those long wait ones!!

Another librarian chiming in…I love my public library system and use it all the time!

@Duellingneedles and @yarnforall - that shows how popular they are. Sometimes I request more than one and hope I get them in the right order.

I’ve never thought of keeping track of what I read or of setting a goal. I don’t read near as much as I would like because I get so into it that I neglect other things that need my attention. Audiobooks would probably be a good option for me.
So it’s the middle of July, I’ll set a goal of 25 for the rest of the year. I just finished This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. It was a re-read.
I’ll have to get by the library tomorrow and see what’s available on audiobook.
Thanks for the inspiration.

I have Homefront by Kristin Hannah on hold with Libby for a book club I am in. The wait is 4 weeks (which is okay, since we won’t be discussing it until September).
However, since I had time to kill this morning while waiting to have lunch with my former co-workers, I visited their local library, and they had that book. I settled myself down to read for a couple of hours. The book is really good, and I hated to leave it!! Guess I will wait a month to find out how the rest of the story goes.

[SIZE=14px]27. The Delphi Effect…Rysa Walker (Audio) Supernatural[/SIZE]

HI folks! I read constantly. Always on my kindle, and when I finish a book, I put it in the folder for that year. So I know that I’ve just recently hit 50 - except it’s actually more, because earlier in the year I was rereading the Nero Wolf series, which I have on a different Kindle. Here are the last few books I read, and some I am currently reading, since they are fresh in my mind and many of the others are in series by favorite authors and aren’t really worth listing individually.

Michael Connolly’s latest “Dark Sacred Night”
Gail Honeyman’s “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine”
Jonathan Haidt’s “The Righteous Mind” (I’m in the middle of this)
Madeline Miller’s “Circe” (Beautifully written fictionalized memoirs of the greek goddess)
Jordan B. Peterson “Twelve Rules for Life” (I’m partway into this. I’ll finish some day)
Danny Wallace “Yes, Man” (Hilarious memoir about the author’s decision to say “yes” to every suggestion he hears for a year)
Camille Paglia “Free Women, Free Men: Sex, Gender, Feminism” (a brilliant thinker. I just found this in my kindle and realized that I forgot I had it. Got to get back to reading it.)

Some of the authors I’ve compulsively read all of once I discover them:
Rex Stout - the Nero Wolf mystery series. I love love love this author. He’s written 49 (?) books about this character, and every single one is refreshing, witty, and funny. You don’t have to read them in order, but if you don’t, you’ll lose track of which ones you’ve read, and since you’ll want to read them all, you might want to keep a record of them.
Elly Griffiths - the Ruth Galloway mystery series. Well written, interesting. I’m losing interest though as I’m getting into the later books.
M. C. Beaton - I like the Hamish Macbeth series better than the Agatha Raisin ones. But both are just silly, for when you don’t want to think very hard.
Michael Connelly - more mysteries. Well written. A little bit dark. Read them in order, since the same characters appear in all the books and their lives intersect and the characters mature.
Louise Penny - the Gamache mysteries series. Beautifully written. Interesting plots. Read them in order.
P. D. James - the queen of mystery writing. English. Such a loss to the world that she died and will write no more.
Dorothy Sayers - the Peter Wimsey novels. I really enjoy these characters. Well written.
T E Kinsey - the Lady Hardcastle mysteries - really silly, but fun.
Elizabeth Peters - the Amelia Peabody series. Very funny. Totally enjoyable, and even educational since the author got her PhD in anthropology at the University of Chicago (I believe). Definitely read them in order.
Martha Grimes - the Richard Jury mysteries. I’m in the middle of this series, but since they’re expensive, I’m getting them from the library, and since they are not all available all the time, I’m reading them totally out of order. I’m sure I’d prefer them in order, but, oh well. It’s a better series than some of the others. I like the characters pretty well.

That’s so cool that you’re reading in all those languages. In my post (down further in the thread) I haven’t listed the Dutch books I’ve read, because my husband and I are just learning, and the books are still really simple. If you can suggest good, pretty simple, Dutch books for us to read, I would so appreciate it. When I was in NL last month, I bought a few books from the young adult section. We’re just getting into a Sherlock Holmes book in Dutch right now. It’s very simple language, so I think we’ll be able to enjoy it.
In French I like to read Georges Simenon, because he wrote so many and once you’ve looked up all the words you need to in the first couple of books, you can read subsequent ones much more easily. I haven’t tried to read any Spanish in recent years, because I’ve been working hard on my French, and now Dutch. But one that I’d like to try to get back to is “La Tesis de Nancy” by Ramon J. Sender. It’s really funny.

We also did sign language as a family, because our youngest child is autistic and was nonverbal for the first several years of her life. You must have really been fluent though to do interpreting! How did you manage that? We took all the classes we could at the community college level but once she finally started speaking, we slacked off. It’s beautiful though.

What a great idea to put the Kindle books in a folder for the year!