#18 - Tunisian Tweed Stitch

[SIZE=16px]Hello everyone & welcome back! :fk:

This will be the last Tunisian Crochet tutorial of the year. I’m going to take a break for the holidays. I’m excited for the new year as we’re going to move on to entrelac, color changes, double-ended hooks & working in the round!

I’m so blessed with the level of enthusiasm you’ve all shown for my quirky affection of this technique! I wish you all a Merry Christmas & (please Lord) a Happy, Prosperous New Year! [/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]This week we’re looking into the Tunisian Tweed Stitch. It’s a combination pattern made from TSS (Tunisian Simple Stitch) & TwUpTSS (Tunisian Twisted Upward Simple Stitch) in a 2 row repeat. This combo results in a dense fabric with little V stitches throughout. It has a moderate tendency for curling. We’ll use TWS for this tutorial for simplification.

After some swatching, I found a subtle change can make those little V stitches really stand out and reduce the curl as well. Substitute the TSS to the Modified TSS.

A video tutorial for Tunisian Tweed Stitch is available from Hookloopsarah Crochet.

A tutorial for the Tunisian Twisted Simple Stitch is available from Rachel Henri Crochet Design. There are a couple of different ways to create the Twisted Simple Stitch. One twists the stitch with an upward motion (this one is used in the Tweed Stitch) and the other uses a downward motion. The results are very different.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Basic Foundation Row:
• Chain a multiple of 2 + 2.
• (1) Insert your hook into back bump of the second chain from the hook.
• (2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.
• Continue pulling up loops in remain chains. This is your “Forward Pass”. Don’t turn your work.
Return Pass: Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18px]Tunisian Tweed Stitch[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]ROW 1 - Forward Pass – Skip 1[SUP]st[/SUP] vertical bar directly beneath the hook, TSS (or Modified TSS), TWS, repeat - across row to the last stitch, insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and pull up a loop.
Return Pass - Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.

ROW 2 - Forward Pass – Skip 1[SUP]st[/SUP] vertical bar directly beneath the hook, TWS, TSS (or Modified TSS), TWS, repeat - across row to the next to last stitch, TSS, insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch and pull up a loop.
Return Pass - Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.

Repeat rows 1 & 2 to your desired length.

Bind Off

Bind off in pattern: create the last, finishing row using the same stitches or combination of stitches called for in the pattern and closing those stitches as you work across. Thereby eliminating the return pass of the final row.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR]

Tweed.jpg

I made this stitch using both twist methods! I really love the results. :fk:

DSCN6576.JPG

DSCN6574 (2).JPG

They look great!

Thank you!

Great job!

Thank you!!

:fk: hoping to begin this block this week.

We just had groundhog day here in the United States, and the groundhog said there would be more weeks of winter…so I should have plenty of time to learn this block. (lol):smiley:

Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow day 4 I think Groundhog day is repeating itself here.

Wow and the gifts of love and joy just keep coming from you!! Have a Merry Christmas and safe New Year. Another great stitch to learn.:fk: :angel::mrs_claus:

@DJM ~ you make my heart Happy! :two_hearts::two_hearts:

This is kind of a year end bonus as there are actually several things to learn here. I love it! Happy holidays @TexasPurl ! Feliz Navidad! Y prospero año! (I’m trying to practice my Spanish more. I’m getting a head start on one of my resolutions. :yum:)

¡Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo a tu familia también!