#16 - Tunisian Bamboo Stitch

[SIZE=16px]Hello everyone & welcome back! This week we explore the Tunisian Bamboo Stitch!

A Video tutorial is available from Knitter Knotter (she refers to it as a Yarn Over 2)

The Tunisian Bamboo Pattern is made with Yarn Overs & Tunisian Simple Stitch. It creates a delicate texture & visually attractive fabric. If your tension on the yarn over is too tight, it tends to pull towards the center of the fabric. A loose tension is recommended. A one row repeat will produce a stacked design. Alternating rows will result in a offset design.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=16px]Written instructions:

Foundation Row (Basic TSS Foundation)

• Create an even number of chains
• (1) Insert your hook into the second chain from the hook.
• (2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.
• Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your “Forward Pass”. Don’t turn your work.
• Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.

Bamboo Pattern

Row 1 - Forward pass. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, * yo, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop (TSS), insert the hook next vertical bar and pull up a loop (TSS), pull the last 2 loops on the hook back & through the yo loop on the hook (this creates a horizontal wrap around the last 2 stitches on the hook)*, repeat - to last stitch, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull up a loop. Basic Return Pass. REPEAT THIS ROW FOR A STACKED DESIGN.

Row 2 - Forward pass. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, TSS in the next vertical bar, yo, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop (TSS), insert the hook next vertical bar and pull up a loop (TSS), pull the last 2 loops on the hook back & through the yo loop on the hook, repeat - to last 2 stitches, TSS in next vertical bar, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull up a loop. Basic Return Pass. REPEAT ROWS 1 & 2 FOR AN OFFSET DESIGN.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]NOTE: The video instructions show pulling the YO with your fingers. I found if your hook has a deep enough throat, you can easily pull the 2 TSS through the yo.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]Bind off in TSS.

• Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, yo, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull through all loops, repeat - to last stitch, yo, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull through all loops.

• Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE] [HR][/HR]

YO2 Stacked.jpg

YO2 Offset.jpg

So pretty and they look so different!!:fk:

I love this stitch, I like the stacked better than the offset!!:fk:

DSCN6506.JPG

DSCN6505.JPG

It’s lovely!

Interesting! I can’t wait to try it. I haven’t been on all week due to a broken phone (my phone is my wifi.) I don’t dare try to make sense of it this close to bedtime but I will definitely add it to my blanket strips tomorrow.

I am a bit late to the game on this square. About to begin it today. @TexasPurl , thank you for the great directions, the link, and the wonderful pictures. I can clearly see the stitch definition and that helps the directions make sense.

:fk:

I was able to finish this pattern today. I went ahead and did both the stacked and the off set.

I would definitely make this pattern again. They were fun

tunisian block 16.jpeg

Looks great!!

They look really nice! I still haven’t done this one. I need to get back on the ball!

Thanks @DJM and @KnitsWithHorses

Yeah…I slacked off for a while. I am enjoying getting back to Tunisian crochet.
Will miss it when this is over.

I finally got around to this stitch. I was afraid it would be fiddly with passing the stitch over but I found a way that worked for me that barely broke my stride making this a very usable stitch. I did it like the video where you offset by one stitch on alternate rows. This is straight wool as I plan to felt it for a hot pad.

IMG_20210210_145858.jpg

Well done!! Please post a picture after you felt it!!

@DJM I will. I haven’t felted crochet before so I’m curious.