#13 - Tunisian Moss Stitch

[SIZE=18px]Hello everyone! Today we take a look at the Tunisian Moss Stitch![/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]A Video tutorial for the Moss Stitch is available from Mode Bespoke

The Tunisian Moss Stitch has a similar look to TFS (Tunisian Full Stitch). It creates on open woven look with a very nice drape. It’s also reversible! This pattern requires a 2 row repeat on an odd number of stitches with alternating TKS & YOs.

Note: I’ve also seen this stitch called the seed stitch on at least one designer’s site - The Purple Poncho.

Written instructions:

Foundation Row (Basic TSS Foundation) [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Create an odd number of chains[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](1) Insert your hook into the second chain from the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px][B]Tunisian Moss Stitch[/B][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px][B]Row 1 - Forward pass.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *insert the hook into the next vertical bar as to TKS and pull up a loop, yo, skip the next vertical bar*, repeat *-* to last 2 stitches, TKS, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull up a loop. Basic Return Pass[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px][B]Row 2 - Forward pass.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, yo, skip the next vertical bar, insert the hook into the next vertical bar as to TKS and pull up a loop (this is the yo made on the pervious row, the front leg is diagonal from the next vertical bar)*, repeat *-* to last 2 stitches, yo, skip the next vertical bar, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull up a loop. Basic Return Pass[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]Bind off in TSS.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, ch1 * insert hook in sp, yo & pull through all loops, insert the hook under the next vertical bar, yo and pull through all loops,*, repeat *-* to last stitch, yo, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull through all loops. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR] [SIZE=16px]Free Pattern [B]The Market Sac[/B][B] (Written)[/B][/SIZE] [HR][/HR]

Moss Front.jpg

Moss Back.jpg

Moss.png

Another great stitch!! :fk:

Thank you @TexasPurl for another great tutorial! This one is a snap and goes pretty fast! I think it’s one of my favorites so far. This one is definitely going in my big stitch sampler blanket. Next year I want to do a stitch sampler Afghan that is actually planned out with yarn purchased specifically for the project so it will be pretty and show off the stitches we are learning. This one is just to practice, use up stash and have an extra warm blanket for this winter. :smiley:

Fluffy stitch!! :fk:

DSCN6382.JPG

@DJM, your block looks great!

So pretty! It is fluffy & I like that it’s reversible!

Thank you both!!

Really do like this one! Your square looks great, as always. :slight_smile:

@KnitsWithHorses I struggled with my first attempt until I saw your comment that it was “a snap and goes pretty quick”, I started again and you were right. Thanks for the encouragement!!

:pFinished this block.
Glad to be closer to catching up.
I do like the pattern that is made form this moss stitch.

Resized_20201204_142348.jpeg

Well done!!

This pattern was really fun! And I like that it doesn’t curl. It may become my go to for scarves :blush:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:85552}[/ATTACH]

Looks great!!

I agree. And your work is lovely @knitter131 .

Thank you, @DJM and @hereami!