#11 - Tunisian Griddle Stitch

[SIZE=18px]Hello everyone & welcome back! Let’s take a look at the Tunisian Griddle Stitch![/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]A video tutorial for the Griddle Stitch is available from The Crochet Crowd

The Tunisian Griddle Stitch is another combination pattern using the Simple Stitch (TSS) and the Double Stitch-Simple (TDS-S). It creates a highly textured, dense fabric. It’s made much the same as the Lemon Peel stitch in traditional crochet. Another pattern that doesn’t curl! Yay![/SIZE] [HR][/HR][SIZE=18px]Written instructions:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]Foundation Row: [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Create an even number of chains[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](1) Insert your hook into the second chain from the hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px](2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px][B]Griddle Stitch[/B][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px][B]Row 1 - Forward pass.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop, yo, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop, yo & pull through 2 loops*, repeat *-* to last stitch, yo, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull up a loop. Basic Return Pass[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px][B]Row 2 - Forward pass.[/B] Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, ch1, *yo, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop, yo & pull through 2 loops, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop, *, repeat *-* to last stitch, yo, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull up a loop, yo & pull through 2 loops. Basic Return Pass[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16px]Repeat Rows 1 & 2 to desired length.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]Bind off in TSS.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=16px]Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *yo, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull through all loops*, repeat *-* to last stitch, yo, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull through all loops. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=16px]Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.[/SIZE]
[HR][/HR]

PXL_20201016_205515831.jpg

Griddle.png

Yeah, another beautiful stitch!! Thanks @TexasPurl for taking us on this amazing journey.

So happy you’re enjoying it!

I use the regular crochet version of this all the time so I’m looking forward to playing with the tunisian version. :slight_smile:

working on this now.

@TexasPurl your instructions are fantastic.
But I wanted to also thank you for the youtube links. The ones you have chosen for us along the way are very helpful. I find the Crochet Crowd ones relaxing and easy to listen to as well as very helpful.
Thank you.

Me too!

@hereami I agree. I hope this Tunisian section stays here for a long time (forever) as it is handy to come back to if needed for the reason you describe. You don’t have to sort through all kinds of things to find something that works. So again, thanks @TexasPurl, we appreciate the time & effort you’re putting into your ‘exploration’.

I added some griddle stitch to my full size tunisian stitch sampler afghan that is all scrap yarn. And then I added it to my baby blanket. And now I’m working on a pot holder. Safe to say I like this stitch.

20201024_193315.jpg

20201024_193347.jpg

looks great.

Oh yes, it looks very nice. So different with the 2 colors. It adds that bit of spice.

Wonderful!!

finally got around to posting a picture.

:smiley:

Resized_20201027_104018.jpeg

You have been busy!! Looks great.

Thank you @DJM
I thought I was so far behind. Then completely lost track of where I was on each project.
I am caught up again. At least for now.

Tunisian is fun. I am having a great time making the squares.
lol…we will see if I enjoy sewing the squares together. At the moment I have no idea how I am going to join them.

How is everyone else doing on this week’s block?

I finished mine, however it’s been raining and dreary for the past couple days, waiting for some sunshine to take pictures. I am also enjoying these blocks.

The pieces you posted today are so pretty! :slight_smile: I thought I was going to get organized, but didn’t quite get there. Sooo tired still, and can’t concentrate.

Oh this is a nice one also, your stitches are really neatly done.

How is everyone doing on their pieces this week? I am going to work on some from the weeks I didn’t finish during my zoom meet. Hoping I can catch up before our next stitch comes! :slight_smile:

I finally made my square today, I really like this stitch combo! Yarn is Bernat Baby Sport in a pastel variegated.

A60E57B7-3713-45C9-847B-A867393F7A23.jpeg

It came out great! I really like this one too. Not too fiddly and quite versatile. I have one large ball of Bernat baby and can’t decide what to do with it. I’m tempted to wait till I can get another and make a baby blanket. It’s really a nice looking yarn and perfect for a blanket but acrylic sport weights aren’t exactly thick on the ground.